Wed, 01 Dec|
KFE Mini CPD Conference 1
KFEMiniCon1 is our first f2f conference since the Covid pandemic and is focused on teaching, learning and assessment and related CPD. It takes place on 1st Dec 2021 at MKC Maidstone Campus. Focus is Mental Health / Wellbeing & Prevent strands.
Time & Location
01 Dec 2021, 09:00 – 14:00
Maidstone, Midkent College, Oakwood Rd, Tonbridge Rd, Maidstone ME16 8AQ, UK
About The Event
KFE Mini Staff CDP Conference 1 - Mental Health / Wellbeing / Safeguarding & Prevent
The registration for this event will open - 14th October 2021 at www.kentfurthereducation.org
The workshop numbers are limited for these sessions to ensure more in-depth professional exchange, so early registration is recommended. The exact timing of sessions is to be confirmed but please use the session matrix on the KFE Events Page to ensure you avoid clashes.
This will be held at: MidKent College - Maidstone Campus - 9am - 2pm - 1st December 2021
This conference is face to face* with post workshop networking lunch. The conference is free to all KFE partner college staff that register.
*Note the Mental Health workshop 1a is semi-virtual.
Overall Conference Aims:
All sessions are aimed at supporting and informing academic teaching and support staff around the issues in the strand subjects. The sessions may also be helpful to some support service staff also working in these strand subject areas.
The aim is to:
- Help build confidence in our staff working primarily in teaching, learning and assessment roles
- Improve how each college, and collectively how our KFE colleges provide operational support / whole college approaches for the strand subjects
- Materially improve services to our learners (and staff where applicable)
- Enable a more intensive CPD conference with face to face professional networking time built in
- Support an knowledge exchange culture across the colleges’ professional staff teams working in TLA and related areas impacting on learner outcomes.
The provisional programme is as follows:
1. 9-9:30am - Arrivals (Tea & Coffee / water / juices / pastry)
2. 9:30am - Workshop Strands Commence
3. 10:45-11:30am - Break Window (Tea & Coffee / water)
4. 1pm - Workshop Strands Close
5. 1-2pm - Networking Lunch (Light Lunch - Take-away bag options)
Workshop Strands 1-3
Strand 1 - MENTAL HEALTH
1a) Introduction to Adolescent Mental Health - Delivered by Young Minds - (9:30am to 1pm including break)
This foundation level course will help participants understand the processes involved in adolescence and how the transition from childhood to adulthood can impact the emotional wellbeing of young people.*
During this course participants will:
- Develop a shared understanding of mental health in the context of adolescence
- Explore the developmental processes and relational shifts that take place during adolescence
- Identify ways of supporting young people to navigate the challenges they face
- Consider how trusted adults can promote positive mental health and model ways to support wellbeing
Workshop places = 21 (7 per college initially reserved up to 15 November when it will be opened up to first come first served)
*Note this workshop is semi-virtual as it will be delivered on line by Young Minds' specialist trainers. This is to maximise the established training package for delegates and interaction for individuals that participate. We are describing this as semi-virtual because whilst the delivery is on-line delegates may be able to choose to still physically attend the conference and link to it from the MKC venue, which will allow them to enjoy the other aspects of the day including the arrivals and lunch networking.
1b) Introduction to and Outline of Kooth Services - Delivered by Kooth - (9:30am to 10:30am)
During this 1 hour workshop delegates will receive an introduction to:
- The service offered by Kooth to support mental health
- Their young people referral services
- A tour of the Kooth site and services
- Discuss with Kooth's representative how your college might engage and work with Kooth to support learner referrals
Workshop places = 21 (7 per college. Reserved up to 15 November when it will be opened up to first come first served)
Strand 2 - WELL-BEING
Enhancing Well-being awareness and college approaches - Delivered by TEP - (9:30am to 1pm in three 1 hour approx thematic workshops)
During this workshop delegates will be able to participate in a set of 1, 2 or all 3 sessions that are a development of those delivered on-line at TLAC21.
2a) - Strategies to effectively measure and monitor student wellbeing in colleges
2b) - Building meaningful wellbeing programmes to support colleges staff wellbeing
2c) - Developing a whole college approach for mental health and wellbeing
Workshop places = 21 (7 per college per individual workshop. Reserved up to 15 November when it will be opened up to first come first served)
Strand 3 - SAFEGUARDING/PREVENT
3) Issues impacting on Prevent (and related Safeguarding) (10:45am approx TBC)
During this workshop colleagues will hear the latest information and developments and related advice on Prevent. Issues of focus expected to be:
(This session is being replanned due to changed commitments - apologies)
Workshop places = 24 (8 per college for this single workshop session).
Please complete all requested fields in the registration process using the site's portal. Pay special attention to choosing your sessions if you plan to attend more than one Strand or workshop to avoid clashes. For example if you select 1a Mental Health - Young Minds, you will not be able to participate in another strand/workshop. You may indicate a reserve. All registrations are on an alloted cohort per college organisation (not campus) on a first come first served basis and subsequent validation check with each college.
Note: Covid safe risk assessment and mitigating protocols will be applied to this event.
Date for the Diary: The KFE TLAC22 will be on the morning of 9th February 2022 as a virtual event.
Note this is a free conference for KFE college staff and invited guests only.
All registrations will be verified before event joining information is confirmed to delegates.